Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Running with PUMA

Those of you who know me know a few months ago I took up a new interest... Running. I have always been the type who have (literally) said, "I hate running! The only time I may actually even think about running is if someone scary is chasing after me... MAYBE I would run... Maybe!"

Having a mom who can run circles around me and recently finished an Ironman triathlon made me figure if she can run 26 miles, swim 3.2 and bike 116 I should be able to run my younger butt a 5K!

I started off the the Couch to 5K app (C25K) and 8 weeks later I was running 3.2 miles in 30 minutes! I even signed up to run my first 5K race so you can imagine how excited I was when I discovered I was accepted to sample some running products from PUMA! Thanks to Crowdtap & PUMA this is what I got to test:

Sorry for the sideways pic... I cannot get it to rotate!

I was a little worried about how the shoes would fit; since I didn't get to try them on first, I picked my size and they sent them. I saw lots of people complain about their shoes being a bit big, but as a runner (yes I can now call myself a runner) you want your shoes to have some room for swelling during a run & the shoes I got were perfect! From the warmup walk, to the run to the cool down I noticed a huge difference between those shoes and my previous pair! I actually felt like I could've kept on going (not usual for me).

The shirt was actually different than I was expecting. I received a short sleeve shirt instead and a light long sleeve jacket (PUMA Pure NightCat Reflective Running Jacket). I have to say I love the jacket and shirt so much that I'm not bummed out at all about not getting the long sleeve shirt. The jacket is very reflective (great for the fall/winter shorter days), and the shirt feels so light I feel like I'm just running in my sports bra.

I know I look awful but it's post-workout & early morning!

The pants were pretty crazy when I got them. I was surprised by what I called "traction control" inside them. It essentially looks like little rubber tire treads inside the tights. It does make them a little more difficult to get on, but that may have more to do with the fact that they sent me a small & I could've used a medium. The treads are actually athletic tape strategically placed to actually massage your muscles as you run. I'm not sure how well they worked since it wasn't like a masseuse giving me a massage but I can say the 1 knee that usually gets achy about mid run hasn't bothered me. Not sure if it's that it just decided to quit fighting me, or the massaging tights, or the new shoes (I'm guessing the new shoes helped a lot though).


This new gear really helped motivate me to keep going dispite the dropping temperature, and daylight hours here in Minnesota. I knew I wouldn't keep running outside in the cold so as of last week signed up for a gym membership that has lots of nice indoor treadmills! Thanks again Crowdtap & PUMA!








No comments:

Post a Comment